Re-Entry into the U.S. After Travel Abroad 

To avoid problems when you re-enter the U.S., make sure that you have the following items:

  1. BI International Students 3Valid passport (valid at least six months)
  2. Valid F-1 visa
  3. I-20 with an International student advisor's (DSO) signature that is less than six months old. Please note: The I-20 says that each signature is good for one year but, in practice, it is best to get it signed within six months. Plan ahead.
  4. Current proof of financial support (optional but recommended)
  5. Unofficial transcript or proof of class registration (optional but recommended)

Misplaced I-20

In case you forget to get the I-20 signed or forget to carry the I-20 with you when traveling, you may contact the International Student Office to mail you another copy of the I-20 (You will be responsible for the mailing fee, and there is an extra fee for misplacing the I-20).

 In some cases, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may allow you to enter the country with the Form I-515A, which you must fill out and mail back to them within 30 days so that your legal status is not jeopardized.

International Student Office