I-20 Extension

The student who has maintained a legal F-1 status and made normal progress toward completing an education program, but is unable to finish the degree by the date originally given on the I-20 may apply for an I-20 extension.

  1. Fill out the Program Extension Recommendation Form.
  2. Fill out Part A and bring it to an academic advisor (from Academic Records). They will indicate the new expected program completion date.
  3. The International Student Office will issue a new I-20 with the new program end date.

Note: The student must apply for the I-20 extension prior to the end date noted on the I-20. If an extension is not filed in time, the student is ineligible for F-1 benefits, including class enrollment and employment (on and off campus). If your program completion date has expired or if you do not meet the eligibility requirements to apply for program extension, you may need to apply for “reinstatement” to lawful F-1 status. In this case, immediate consultation with the International Student Office is necessary.

International Student Office