Applying for a Social Security Number

If you get an on-campus job, go to Human Resource (HR) and fill out the Form I-9 and obtain a verification letter. After you receive the verification letter from HR, come to the International Student Office to receive an additional verification letter of your F-1 student status.

Social Security Office Information

The closest Social Security office is located at:

77 W. Jackson Blvd, Chicago, IL 60604 (see map)
Phone Number: (800) 772-1213, (800) 325-0778
Office Hours: Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–3 p.m. (All offices now close at noon on Wednesdays.)

What to Bring
When you go to the Social Security office, bring the following with you:

  • your I-20
  • your passport
  • your letter from HR
  • your letter from ISO
  • the Social Security number application form

Keep the following in mind:

  • Never leave your original I-20 and/or passport at the Social Security office. Any documents left in the office will be discarded.
  • Please remember to request a receipt letter after you have submitted the documents.
  • The letter with the Social Security Number card should be mailed to your CPO mailbox in approximately 1–2 weeks.

More Information

Learn more at

International Student Office