- Pre-Arrival Information
- F-1 Student Status
- International Student FAQs
Applying for a Social Security Number
If you get an on-campus job, go to Human Resource (HR) and fill out the Form I-9 and obtain a verification letter. After you receive the verification letter from HR, come to the International Student Office to receive an additional verification letter of your F-1 student status.
Social Security Office Information
The closest Social Security office is located at:
77 W. Jackson Blvd, Chicago, IL 60604 (see map)
Phone Number: (800) 772-1213, (800) 325-0778
Office Hours: Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–3 p.m. (All offices now close at noon on Wednesdays.)
What to Bring
When you go to the Social Security office, bring the following with you:
- your I-20
- your passport
- your letter from HR
- your letter from ISO
- the Social Security number application form
Keep the following in mind:
- Never leave your original I-20 and/or passport at the Social Security office. Any documents left in the office will be discarded.
- Please remember to request a receipt letter after you have submitted the documents.
- The letter with the Social Security Number card should be mailed to your CPO mailbox in approximately 1–2 weeks.
Learn more at http://www.socialsecurity.gov.