Frequently Asked Questions

What is the application deadline for an international student?
Visit our Application Deadlines page for current deadlines. It is recommended that international students start the application process earlier than students that are U.S. citizens due to the paperwork load involved. Keep in mind that all international students that are attending college for the first time or transfering from a college overseas will begin in the fall semester. International students who are transferring from a college in the U.S. will be considered for admission during the spring semester on a case-by-case basis.

Do you offer special scholarships for international students?
Yes, there are a limited number of scholarships available. Incoming freshmen may apply for scholarships. Students are also encouraged to find support from outside sources, such as their home church or Christian organizations they intend to serve in the future. For more information about scholarships from Moody, please contact the Financial Aid office at

I am currently attending another school. How can I transfer to your school?
First you must submit your application to the Admissions office and be admitted. After that, you will be given a transfer form to complete. The Assistant Dean for International Students will contact the current designated school official (DSO) to set up the I-20 release date. Once the transfer process is completed, we will issue you a new I-20. Please keep in mind that you must begin classes at the new school within five months.

Am I allowed to work while studying at Moody?
Once you are accepted to Moody, you are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours/week (part-time) during the semester and more than 40 hours/week (full-time) during school breaks and holidays. Some of the jobs available on campus are housekeeping, food service, physical plant, library, and administrative work.

Do my parents need to sign the I-134 (Affidavit of Support) too?
Yes, if the parents are your supporter. The person who signs the 1-134 can be anyone who will give you financial support. If your sponsor is not your parent, you do not need your parent's signature on the form. If your sponsor or sponsors are American citizens or permanent residents, they do not need to get the Form I-134 notarized, but if the sponsor is not an American citizen or a US permanent resident, he will use a Moody affidavit form and will need to get the form notarized by a notary public.

There is only one notary public in the area I live. The process of notarizing documents takes a long time and is expensive. Can I ask for a waiver?
You are obliged to follow the required procedures in completing the Moody Affidavit of Support. This includes having it notarized by any authorized notary public regardless of your circumstances, because it is a legal governmental document. However, for the student's own bank statement, you do not need to notarize it again as long as a legal bank official's stamp or seal is included.

Can a spouse of the F-1 student work or take classes?
The F-2 spouse or child may not accept employment under any circumstances. He/she may not engage in full-time study, but may study on a part-time basis. If he/she desires to pursue a degree on a full-time basis, he/she must first apply to USCIS for a Change of Status from F-2 ro F1 (Form I-539). 

International Student Office