On-Campus Employment 

Immigration regulations state that on-campus employment is automatically authorized for any student in lawful F-1 status. On-campus employment must either be performed on the school’s premises, including on-location commercial firms that provide services for students on campus—such as the school bookstore or cafeteria—or at an off-campus location that is educationally affiliated with the school (as long as the employer provides direct services to students).

The work is limited to no more than 20 hours per week when school is in session, but may become full-time during vacation and holidays. You may begin no sooner than 30 days prior to when your program of study begins. Transfer students can be employed only at the school that “has jurisdiction over his/her SEVIS record.”

After securing a job, you should go to the Human Resources department to complete the Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) and get a verification letter for your Social Security Number. Then, you will have to come to International Student Office for an additional letter for the Social Security Application.

Important Links

International Student Office