Frequently Asked U-Pass Questions

Please click on the section heading to take you to the related FAQs.



I am a second semester senior and am considered a full-time student by Moody Bible Institute if I take less than 12 credits. Am I still eligible for a U-Pass?

No. CTA requires that all undergraduate students must have 12 or more credits to be eligible for a U-Pass.

Who qualifies for a U-Pass?

All undergraduate students who are enrolled in 12 or more credit hours and are taking at least one class on campus are eligible for a U-Pass. Your U-Pass will not be activated until your Student Account reflects that undergraduate students are taking 12 credits or more.

Are U-Passes available if I am taking summer classes?

The U-Pass program is not available during the summer semester. However, your U-Pass continues to work as a regular Ventra Card between semesters and switches back to being a U-Pass when school is in session. When you use your card when school isn’t in session, regular fares and transfers are deducted.

What if I add classes that take me from a part-time to a full-time student?

If a student adds credit hours making them full-time within the add/drop date, they will be eligible for the U-Pass.

Am I eligible for the U-Pass program when I return from studying abroad?

During the semester you are studying abroad, your U-Pass card is not activated that semester. Please keep your U-Pass card for the following semester when you return.

Insufficient Funds & Common Issues

Who should I contact with questions or concerns?

Please email with any questions or concerns about U-Pass. We are located on ASC2 across the hall from Joe’s Coffee Shop. You may also contact CTA at 1-888-Your CTA (1-888-968-7282) or email them at

What should I do if my U-Pass was lost/stolen?

If your card is lost or stolen, visit the Student Activities Office located on ASC2 across the hall from Joe’s Coffee Shop to complete a report and request a new card. A $50 non-refundable fee in the form of cash/check will be collected for a lost/stolen card (CTA requires a $50 fee for replacement passes).

Whenever I try to use my card, the kiosk at the bus/train states that I have “insufficient funds”. What does this mean?

You may have “double tapped” the kiosk, causing negative funds to be added to your card. CTA allows students to put money on their U-Pass if they want to also use it for up to 6 people coming behind them. The U-Pass takes 15 minutes to reset so you may use it again. This also applies if you use your U-Pass at two different kiosks within 15 minutes. Because you double-tapped on the kiosk before the U-Pass had a chance to reset, it assumed you tapped in for a person behind you, and added funds to your account. As there was no money on your card, it added "negative funds" to your card. Any U-Pass with a balance with more than -$2.50 will be temporarily deactivated. You will need to pay this off if you would like to continue using your U-Pass. Please go to to create a new account to pay this off. Moody Bible Institute cannot reimburse students for negative balances related to their Ventra U-Pass.

As an incoming student, why didn't I receive a preprinted U-Pass on the first day of class?

U-Passes are distributed to incoming undergraduate students taking at least 12 credits during the first day of classes. If you send your student ID picture up to 10 business days before the first day of class, then we will be able to have a pre-printed U-Pass available for you at that time.

I am an incoming student and my U-Pass has not even worked once. What should I do?

Before using your card, you must activate your card by calling 1-877-450-5328. The card activates approximately 15-20 minutes after calling. 

What should I do if my card is defective?

If your card is defective, CTA can replace it. The first replacement is free, though subsequent replacements will be billed back to you ($5). In order for a card to be determined defective, you must go to the Ventra Customer Service Center at 567 W. Lake St., Chicago, IL. They'll have you sign the Ventra Defective Card Replacement Form and give you a “7-Day Unlimited CTA Rides” ticket. The school will order you a replacement card. Do NOT hole-punch your U-Pass to hang on your lanyard. Without the Ventra Defective Card Replacement form, a defective card is considered lost or stolen and the full replacement cost applies. Moody Bible Institute does not have the authority to issue a free replacement U-Pass without the replacement form and does not have “7-day Unlimited CTA Rides” passes available for this purpose.

What if my bank/credit card was charged when I used the U-Pass?

It is recommended that you take your Ventra U-Pass out of your wallet or holder when touching the Ventra reader. If you leave it in your wallet/purse and you have a debit or credit card with a Wi-Fi symbol, then the Ventra reader may charge your debit/credit card for a fare instead of reading your U-Pass. If you receive incorrect charges when you have an active U-Pass, please contact your bank or credit card company for their procedures on reversing incorrect CTA fares.

Opting Out

Can I opt out of the U-Pass? I drive/won’t use it.

All undergraduate students taking 12 credits or more are charged for this benefit and are unable to opt out. Individual students cannot opt out. CTA only allows for Illinois Resident Senior Citizens (65 or older) that are residents of Illinois to opt out of the U-Pass if they are currently enrolled in the Illinois Department on Aging’s Benefit Access Program. Through this program, senior citizens (65 or older) are eligible for free transit on fixed routes operated by the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), Metra and Pace. Senior Citizen residents of Illinois enrolled in this program must contact the Student Activities Office to be exempt from having a U-Pass.

I don’t use my U-Pass or never picked up my U-Pass. Can I get the charges refunded?

No, CTA’s policy requires us to enroll all undergraduate students who are taking 12 credits or more during the fall/spring semester.

General Details

How long do I keep my U-Pass?

Keep your U-Pass for up to five years after you receive it! The U-Pass portion of the card will be automatically reactivated at the beginning of any semester you are eligible and deactivated at the end of the semester. When your card is close to expiration per the date on the back, Ventra will automatically send the Student Activities department a replacement and we'll email you when it's ready to be picked up.

Does my U-Pass work during Fall/Spring Break?

Your U-Pass will remain active throughout Fall/Spring Break, and any other breaks throughout the Fall/Spring semester. Your U-Pass will NOT be active during Summer/Winter Break.

When is the last day my U-Pass is active?

For the Fall semester, the last day to use your U-Pass is the Thursday during Finals Week. The last day in the Spring semester to use your U-Pass is graduation day.

Does my U-Pass work in between semesters?

Your U-Pass continues to work as a regular Ventra Card between semesters and switches back to being a U-Pass when school is back in session. When you use your card when school isn’t in session, regular fares and transfers are deducted. You can add transit value onto your card at any Ventra Kiosk, and at In order to add funds through this website, you must create an account for yourself. To make sure your U-Pass card's transit account doesn't accrue a negative balance, remember to load fare when you're traveling off-season. 

How often can I use my U-Pass?

Your U-Pass provides you unlimited rides on the CTA during your enrollment as a full-time student. (The unlimited rides your U-Pass provides is on CTA buses and trains only. Not Metra trains, Amtrak or Pace.)

What is the difference between activating and registering the U-Pass?

Registering your U-Pass and activating your U-Pass are not the same thing. Activating your U-Pass is required and you must activate it by calling 1-877-450-5328 upon receiving your card. Registering your U-Pass protects purchased passes and transit values. This is optional.

Can I lend my U-Pass to friends or family?

Do not let a friend or relative (including spouses) use your U-Pass. Your card is for your use only. If this rule is violated, CTA reserves the right to confiscate the card and prohibit you from having a U-Pass for a full year, and/or press criminal charges. CTA will contact students directly on any confiscations and their procedures. For more information regarding confiscations when/if they occur, please follow the instructions listed in the official confiscation letter issued by CTA. 

I received an email from Ventra saying my U-Pass card is expiring! What does this mean?

Don't worry! The U-Pass card will expire at the END of the month specified (for example, if the expiration date is 2/1/2022, it will expire 2/28/2022). As the expiration date draws near, Ventra will automatically send our department a replacement for you at no cost to you. You will receive an email when it arrives and is ready to be picked up.

Contact Us